Thursday, August 10, 2017

Running a copy of proxmox on different machine (different hardware configuration)

I was curious as of what would happen when you take a hard drive of a perfectly running Proxmox PVE from one server hardware to another server hardware. I can not find any answer on Google so I made the test and report my result here.

What I did ...

I simply take the SSD from my existing and perfectly running Proxmox VE 4 and install it in a completely different hardware (different motherboard, ram, network card, hard drives, etc...).

To my surprise Proxmox VE BOOTED UP WITHOUT ANY STOPPING ERROR!

After it has completely boot, since I am in the same local network, I was able to login to the same IP address as before.


What I have to do afterwards ...


  1. Identify and attach any additional storage to Proxmox
  2. Check 'dmesg' for boot errors
  3. Check system logs such as /var/log/syslog and /var/log/kern.log to make sure everything is okay.



I hope this helps someone who is wondering if you can simply take a hard drive / ssd from one Proxmox VE server to another completely different hardware... the answer is YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment