Tuesday, February 23, 2016

What are the differences between LXC and OpenVZ?

Differences between LXC and OpenVZ

There are many articles showing tables and matching feature by feature between LXC and OpenVZ. However I was looking for the 'differences' only, which in my opinion makes all the 'difference'. :-) Just kidding. Anyhow I did some research and as of my writing today Feb 23, 2016 here are the major differences between LXC and OpenVZ that you should know:

LXC

  • built into linux kernel
  • pretty young (started 1st first 0.1.0 released in 2008)
  • Isolation method: use Cgroups and Namespaces
  • Does not support Live Migration yet (as of Feb 2016)
  • No Storage I/O priority
  • Partial Container Lockdown
  • Can Not limit kernel memory usage


OpenVZ

  • patched kernel
  • shared same developers as LXC (but started earlier)
  • Isolation method: use Jails or Zones
  • Support Live Migration
  • Has Storage I/O priority
  • Full Container Lockdown
  • Can limit kernel memory usage

No comments:

Post a Comment